As part of the settlement agreement with the family of New York Times journalist David E. Rosenbaum, the District has created a task force on emergency medical services. The task force will conduct an investigation and issue a report with recommendations for improving the delivery of emergency medical services by the DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services (FEMS) department.
The Task Force on Emergency Medical Services will examine the system-wide delivery of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) in the District of Columbia. It will give practical, timely, and strategic guidance on how to improve this critical service. The task force will focus on how the District can improve the management, training, operations and culture of the EMS function to provide the highest quality of professional and compassionate pre-hospital medical care. The task force will conclude its work by submitting a targeted set of recommendations and an implementation plan with input, process, and output metrics, to the Mayor and DC Council.
Scheduled Meeting: April 17, 2007
Task Force Kickoff Meeting
EMS task force was held in the Mayor’s Press Briefing Room, Room G-9 of the John A. Wilson Building, 1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. The schedule is subject to change upon the agreement of EMS Task Force members.
- April 17, 2007, 3 pm: Task Force Kickoff Meeting
- Meeting Minutes
- Inspector General Charles Willoughby
- FEMS Medical Director Dr. Michael Williams
- Kenneth Lyons, EMT-P, president AFGE Local 3721
- Dr Lori Moore Merrell/Fire Chief Gary Ludwig, Memphis, on behalf of Dan Dugan, president IAFF Local 36
- Timeline History of EMS
- JEMS 200 City Survey Summary
- Matrix of Findings and Recommendations From Four Prior EMS Reports
Scheduled Meeting May 24, 2007
The second task force meeting was held Thursday, May 24, 2007, in the Mayor’s Press Briefing Room, Room G-9 of the John A. Wilson Building, 1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.
- EMS Best Practices Research, Amy Mauro, Office of the City Administrator
- EMS Path Forward, Chief Dennis Rubin, DC FEMS; Medical Director Dr. Michael Williams, DC FEMS
- Paul Maniscalco, MPA, EMT/P; chair, DC EMS Commission
- Anne Renshaw
- George Clark
- Daniel Wolkoff
- Justin Brown
- EMT/Advanced Chinua Walker
Scheduled Meeting June 18, 2007
The third task force meeting was held Monday, June 18, 2007, in the Mayor’s Press Briefing Room, Room G-9 of the John A. Wilson Building, 1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.
- Robert Malson, president, DC Hospital Association
- DC Hospital Association Utilization Indicators for 2006
- Bruce Siegel, MD, MPH, RAND presentation: Assessing the State of Emergency Care in Washington DC
Scheduled Meeting: July 17, 2007
The fourth task force meeting was held Tuesday, July 17, 2007, in the Mayor’s Press Briefing Room, Room G-9 of the John A. Wilson Building, 1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.
Working Session September 4, 2007
- Working Session Agenda
- Presentation: Boston Emergency Medical Services, by Richard Serino, Chief, Boston EMS
Scheduled Meeting: September 20, 2007