Thank you for your interest in serving as a DC Fire and EMS Cadet.
The application period for Cadet Class 26
closed on April 28 (11:59 pm), 2023.
Applications for Cadet Class 27 will open in Spring 2024
Fire Cadet Program
The Cadet Program is a one-year program that provides District of Columbia residents between the ages of 18 and 21 years old the opportunity to become members of the DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department (DCFEMS). During the program, Cadets attain their National Registry EMT, Firefighter I & II, and Hazardous Materials Awareness & Operations Certificates. The Cadet participate in a departmental rotation, where they are exposed and acclimated to all aspects of the DCFire and EMS Department.
Those interested in the Fire Cadet Program must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be a DC Resident
- Be a DC Public, Public Charter or Private High School Graduate, with a diploma or GED from a DC testing location at the time of application
- Be between the ages of 18 - 21 years old at the time of application closing.
- Graduated with a minimum cumulative high school GPA of 2.0
- Have a driver's license, provisional license or learner permit at the time of application. A full driver's license must be obtained by the time of graduation in order to successfully complete the cadet program.
- Complete the DC Fire and EMS Cadet written exam
- Complete a Personal History Application
- Undergo a criminal background check
- Provide a copy of their driving record from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- Undergo a physical examination and a psychological evaluation by the Police and Fire Clinic (PFC)
- Provide Reference Checks
- Verify US Citizenship
- Verify Selective Service Registry (males only).
To apply for the Fire Cadet Program you must submit the following documents:
- Driver’s License or Driver’s Learners Permit
- High School Diploma / GED Certificate
- Final High School Transcript / GED Transcript
Cadet Office Contact Information:
DC Fire and EMS Recruitment Office
2000 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009