Thank you for your interest in serving as a DC Fire and EMS Cadet.
THE DC FIRE AND EMS CADET APPLICATION PERIOD IS NOW CLOSED.
***Candidates that passed preliminary screening will receive further instructions from the DC Fire and EMS Recruitment Officer
***If you are not contacted, minimum qualifications were not met and there will be no exceptions granted.
Fire Cadet Program
The Cadet Program is a one-year program that provides District of Columbia residents between the ages of 18 and 21 years old the opportunity to become members of the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department (DCFEMS). During the program, Cadets attain their National Registry EMT, Firefighter I & II, and Hazardous Materials Awareness & Operations Certificates. The Cadet participate in a departmental rotation, where they are exposed and acclimated to all aspects of the D. C. Fire and EMS Department.
Those interested in the Fire Cadet Program must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be a DC Resident
- Be a DC Public, Public Charter or Parochial High School Graduate, with a diploma or GED
- Be between the ages of 18 - 21 years old at the time of application
- Have had a cumulative high school GPA of 2.5
- Have a driver's license, provisional license or learner permit at the time of application
- Complete a Personal History Application;
- Undergo a criminal background check with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), FBI, and US Park Police;
- Provide a copy of driving record from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV);
- Undergo a physical examination and a psychological evaluation by the Police and Fire Clinic (PFC);
- Provide Reference Checks;
- Verify US Citizenship; and
- Verify Selective Service Registry (males only).
To apply for the Fire Cadet Program you must submit the following documents:
- Driver’s License or Driver’s Learners Permit;
- High School Diploma / GED Certificate; and
- Final High School Transcript / GED Transcript .
Cadet Office Contact Information:
DC Fire and EMS Recruitment Office
2000 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009