Applicants for the position of Firefighter/EMT must:
- Be a US citizen at the time of appointment
- Have reached the age of 19 as of the date of application
- Possess a current valid motor vehicle operator’s permit at the time of appointment
- Possess a high school diploma or a certificate of equivalency (GED) issued by a recognized department of education
- Pass the written firefighter/EMT entry-level examination
- Pass a scheduled physical abilities test
- Pass a thorough background check
- Pass thorough medical and employment suitability assessment
- Submit to urinalysis and test negative for the presence of controlled substances/illegal drugs
- Be of high moral character and committed to public service
If you have questions, please contact the DC Fire and EMS Human Resources Divisions on (202) 673-7580.
For information about other positions available with DC Fire and EMS, including information about the Firefighter /EMT Entry Level Exam, please visit the Employment Opportunities page.