On September 27, 2007 the Task Force on Emergency Medical Services issued its report and recommendations to Mayor Adrian M. Fenty. The Mayor accepted the Task Force's six recommendations and directed the DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department, the Department of Health, and related agencies to implement them. Click on any of the recommendations below to see progress achieved to date.
- Recommendation 1: The Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services shall transition to a fully integrated, all hazards agency.
- Recommendation 2: Reform Department structure to elevate and strengthen the EMS mission.
- Recommendation 3: Improve the level of compassionate, professional, clinically competent patient care through enhanced training and education, performance evaluation, quality assurance, and employee qualifications and discipline.
- Recommendation 4: Enhance responsiveness and crew readiness by revising deployment and staffing procedures.
- Recommendation 5: Reduce misuse of EMS and delays in patient transfers.
- Recommendation 6: Strengthen Department of Health (DOH) oversight of emergency medical services.